The objective of the intercourse offenders enrollment scheme
- 2.1 The Sex Offenders Registration Act 2004 (Vic) states so it imposes obligations that are reporting sex offenders to produce police with as much as date information for police force purposes also to decrease the threat of re-offending. 1
- 2.2 The registration scheme was established in 2004 utilizing the aim of reducing the threat of problems for young ones by intimate abuse. This continues to be the aim seven years later. Nevertheless, expectations about how the scheme should donate to this goal have actually shifted.
- 2.3 Today the purpose of the scheme as set out in the legislation does not clearly describe the function that it serves. The Ombudsman’s 2011 report on the management of sex offenders indicates that the information is—or should be—collected for the purpose of alerting the Department of Human Services to children at risk of harm february. 2
- 2.4 This chapter covers exactly how and just why the intercourse offenders enrollment scheme was established together with purpose so it now fulfils. The ev >2.5 The origins of Victoria’s intercourse offenders enrollment scheme are located in regimes created in the 1990s in the United States plus the great britain. The approach taken by these nations has furnished a template for all the other jurisdictions that have introduced enrollment schemes. 3
- 2.6 The regimes in the usa and also the uk are fleetingly described below. 4 The following section then outlines the steps that generated the enrollment of intercourse offenders in Victoria.